Featuring 11 Previously Unreleased Tracks, Bonus Announcer Commentary, Never-before-heard Interviews With the Garner Trio Immediately Following the Concert and Produced by Geri Allen and Steve Rosenthal
Iconic Jazz artist Erroll Garner's greatest concert album and one of the best selling jazz albums of all time, The Complete Concert By The Sea will be released jointly by Sony Legacy and Octave Music Publishing Corporation on September 18, 2015 – in celebration of 60 years since the original concert.
The complete live concert recording – newly uncovered by the Erroll Garner Jazz Project and digitally remastered in its entirety after six decades – is produced by Guggenheim® Award-winning jazz pianist and Director of Jazz Studies at the University of Pittsburgh Geri Allen and 4-time GRAMMY®Award-winning producer Steve Rosenthal. The Complete Concert By The Sea will introduce a new generation to Erroll Garner and his innovative piano playing. The 3-CD box set contains the complete live Concert By The Sea including 11 previously unreleased tracks, the original edited Columbia release from 1956 (digitally restored and remastered at The Magic Shop, NYC using the Plangent Process) and bonus material including announcer Jimmy Lyons and interviews with the Erroll Garner trio: Denzil DaCosta Best, Eddie Calhoun, and Garner himself, recorded directly after the concert.
Concert By The Sea originally produced in Carmel, California as part of local promoter Jimmy Lyons' "Sunset Series" laid the groundwork for the beginnings of the renowned Monterey Jazz Festival. Appropriately, on September 18, 2015 the 58th Monterey Jazz Festival will highlight this highly anticipated release in a rare historic tribute performance featuring Geri Allen, Jason Moran, Christian Sands, Jimmie Cobb, Russell Malone and Darick Oles. The Festival will also feature a special Concert By The Sea panel on September 19, 2015 including Geri Allen, Steve Rosenthal, and Monterey Jazz Festival Board Member (who attended the original Concert By The Sea) Jim Costello, moderated by Erroll Garner Jazz Project Director and Ethnomusicologist Jocelyn Arem.
Liner note writers include Geri Allen, Award-winning author and UCLA American Studies Professor Robin D.G. Kelley, PHd, and GRAMMY®Award-winning jazz writer Dan Morgenstern who writes: "I don't think I need to tell you how significant a figure Erroll Garner is in the history of American music. His artistry transcended categories over four decades. Without ever saying a word or indulging in showbiz trimmings, he could just play the piano and hold thousands enraptured."
Sony Legacy President Adam Block remarks, "Concert By The Sea is a marvelous, mystical album that has been allowed to dangle on the periphery of broader recognition for far too long. Now for the first time, the complete recording and the remarkable story of this masterpiece can be heard and understood in all its glory. This really is a significant release – critically important to the preservation of one of the truly epic moments in live recorded performances."
Producer Geri Allen remarks, "Erroll Garner personifies the joy of fearless virtuosity and exploration. One of the defining precursors to bebop, piano giant Erroll Garner embodied the very spirit of swing and free improvisation from every vantage point. His playing celebrated the greatest swinging big bands through an innovative and impossible pianism. Singular yet all embracing, Garner blurred the line between great art and popular art, and he was a staunch journeyman of the blues and his Pittsburgh legacy."
TRACK LISTING FOR COMPLETE CONCERT
- 1) Announcer: Jimmy Lyons (Previously unreleased)
- 2) Night And Day (Previously unreleased)
- 3) Spring Is Here (Previously unreleased)
- 4) I'll Remember April
- 5) The Nearness Of You (Previously unreleased)
- 6) Where Or When
- 7) Sweet And Lovely (Previously unreleased)
- 8) Lullaby Of Birdland (Previously unreleased)
- 9) Mambo Carmel
- 10) Teach Me Tonight
- 11) Will You Still Be Mine(Previously unreleased)
- 12) I Cover The Waterfront (Previously unreleased)
- 13) Bernie's Tune (Previously unreleased)
- 14) How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me?
- 15) It's All Right
- 16) Announcer: Jimmy Lyons (Previously unreleased)
- 17) They Can't Take That Away From Me
- 18) Autumn Leaves
- 19) S'Wonderful (Previously unreleased)
- 20) Laura (Previously unreleased)
- 21) Red Top
- 22) April In Paris
- 23) Caravan (Previously unreleased)
- 24) Erroll's Theme / Announcer: Jimmy Lyons (Previously unreleased)
- TRACK LISTING FOR ORIGINAL EDITED CONCERT
- DISC THREE
- 1) I'll Remember April
- 2) Teach Me Tonight
- 3) Mambo Carmel
- 4) Autumn Leaves
- 5) It's All Right With Me
- 6) Red Top
- 7) April in Paris
- 8) They Can't Take That Away From Me?
- 9) How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me
- 10) Where or When
- 11) Erroll's Theme
- 12) Post Concert Interview: Will Thornbury with Erroll Garner, Eddie Calhoun, Denzil DaCosta Best: September 19, 1955 (Previously unreleased)