The Gibson Victorian Mandolin has each of the time-proven features that mandolin players demand while combining the best attributes of the F5 and the F4 mandolin. It is constructed of figured maple back, sides and neck, and a red spruce top with f-holes, all held together with a hot hide glue. As a special touch, the limited edition instruments are made with a one-piece figured maple back, stunningly accentuated in an early teens Victorian Era Red Sunburst finish.
The peghead face features a Gibson "double flower pot" inlay used for the first time since the pre-truss era ended. The beautifully figured F5-length neck is topped by an ebony fingerboard with a subtle radius that finishes over the body with an F4-style fingerboard end. Other features include a period correct black face top, F4-style pickguard and side clamp, and nickel-plated Waverly arrow point tuners with ivoroid buttons.
The fingerboard body, and f-holes are also gracefully adorned with ivoroid binding. In keeping with the patina of these original models, the Gibson Victorian F-Style Mandolin comes with an aged varnish finish and soul stirring tone.
The limited edition model is a result of a decade of innovation and craftsmanship and can only be owned by 15 fortunate players. Gibson will only produce 15 of these models. Dealer locations can be found on the Gibson website. Each instrument will come with complete with a hardshell case and a certificate of authenticity.
The Limited Edition Gibson Victorian F-Style Mandolin specs include:
- Body: Top Red Spruce, Back is 1 piece Figured Maple, Rim is Figured Maple, Soundhole: Ivoroid Bound F-holes, Bracing: Tone Bars.
- Species: Figured Maple
- Neck: Profile is Rounded V, Neck Joint is Radiused Dovetail, Neck Joint location is 15th Fret, Peghead inlay is Double Flower Pot, Peghead Binding is Ivoroid, Truss Rod is Single Action and Truss Rod cover is Gibson Bell Shaped.
- Fingerboard Species is Ebony, Scale length is 13 29/32" and number of frets is 24. Inlay is Pearl Dots, Binding is Ivoroid and Fingerboard extension is Victorian F4 Style. Nut: Pearl/Fossil Ivory and Nut Width is 1 3/16"
- Hardware: Bridge: 2 foot adjustable ebony, Tailpiece/Cover: Nickel, Tuning Keys: Nickel Waverlys, Pickguard: Victorian Style Elevated Tortoisoid
- Finish is Traditional Victorian F Model Black Top/Red Burst Back with an aged oil varnish overcoat and French polish
- The model comes with Gibson Medium Gauge strings and a Vintage oblong hardshell case.