March 12, 2008 — Return to Forever’s classic lineup of keyboardist Chick Corea, bassist Stanley Clarke, guitarist Al Di Meola and drummer Lenny White have announced a tour that will represent their first extensive engagements together in 30 years.
The foursome will play more than 50 dates across North America and Europe, featuring primarily classic music from their chart-topping albums. Beginning in Austin, Texas, on May 29th, the legendary supergroup will swing across the U.S. and Canada in June, cross the Atlantic for July dates in Europe from Lithuania to London, then return to the States for an East Coast run of major venues.
Fans should check their local venues for ticket on-sale information or visit www.return2forever.com for the latest information and unique VIP fan experience ticket packages.
The tour includes top outdoor festivals such as the Montreux Festival, the Montreal International Festival, Spain’s San Sebastian festival, France’s Nice Festival and the Freihofer’s Festival in Saratoga Springs, NY, as well as theaters and concert halls chosen to showcase what LA Times critic Don Heckman calls Return to Forever’s "rich improvisational symbiosis."
"What made me want to do it," Corea told the Times, "was just recalling how great the feeling was playing with these guys. Just the experience of playing, when I thought, ’Wow, yeah, that was an amazing period -- fun, creative, exciting.’"
Heckman, who attended the band’s first rehearsal, said the group is now "bringing a 21st century perspective to the visceral blend of rock energy with the improvisation and compositional structures of jazz that made the quartet a phenomenon of the ’70s."
Original Return to Forever fans and a new generation of listeners can experience their unparalleled high-powered, yet grooving, musical mastery themselves this summer. Tour dates are below.
A special Return to Forever anthology, compiled from the classic albums ’Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy’, ’Where Have I Known You Before’, ’No Mystery’ and ’Romantic Warrior’ and featuring dramatic sonic improvements, will also be released to coincide with the tour. This definitive collection, which was produced by founding RTF members Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke, is the first to include music from all these albums in one double-CD package.
Find out more about Return To Forever and additional tour dates at www.return2forever.com.
(Note: Fans should check with their local venues for ticket on-sale dates.)
- 29-30 (Thu-Fri) Austin, TX - Paramount Theatre
- 31 (Sat) Houston, TX - Verizon Wireless Center
- 1 (Sun) Dallas, TX – Nokia Theater at Grand Prairie
- 3 (Tue) Denver, CO - Paramount Theatre
- 4 (Wed) Salt Lake City, UT – Kingsbury Hall
- 6 (Fri) Portland, OR - Schnitzer Concert Hall
- 7 (Sat) Jacksonville, OR - Britt Music Festival
- 8 (Sun) Seattle, WA – The Paramount
- 9 (Mon) Vancouver, BC – The Centre in Vancouver For Performing Arts
- 11-12 (Wed-Thu) San Francisco, CA - The Grand At The Regency Center (2 shows/night)
- 13 (Fri) Los Angeles, CA – Gibson Amphitheatre
- 14 (Sat) Phoenix, AZ - Dodge Theatre
- 17 (Tue) St Louis, MO – Fox Theatre
- 18 (Wed) Omaha, NE - Holland Performing Arts Center
- 19 (Thu) Minneapolis, MN - Orpheum Theatre
- 20 (Fri) Chicago, IL – The Chicago Theatre
- 21 (Sat) Detroit, MI - Freedom Hill Amphitheatre
- 22 (Sun) Indianapolis, IN - Murat Theatre
- 24 (Tue) Cleveland, OH – The Plain Dealer Pavilion
- 25 (Wed) Toronto, Canada - Sony Centre
- 26 (Thu) Ottawa, Canada - Ottawa Jazz Festival/Confederation Park
- 27 (Fri) Montreal, Canada - Pelletier Hall/Place Des Arts
- 28 (Sat) Saratoga Springs, NY – Freihofer’s Jazz Festival
- 2 (Wed) Vilnius, Lithuania - Utenos Arena
- 4 (Fri) Warsaw, Poland - Congress Hall
- 5 (Sat) Budapest, Hungary - Budapest Arena
- 6 (Sun) Belgrade, Serbia - Belgrade Arena
- 8 (Tue) Paris, France – Olympia Hall
- 9 (Wed) Vienne, France – Vienne Jazz Festival
- 10 (Thu) Madrid, Spain - Via Jazz Festival
- 11 (Fri) Girona, Spain - Cap Roig Festival
- 12 (Sat) Lorca, Spain
- 13 (Sun) Valencia, Spain
- 16 (Wed) Neuhardenberg, Germany
- 18 (Fri) Montreux, Switzerland - Montreux Jazz Festival
- 19 (Sat) Essen, Germany - Grugahalle
- 21 (Mon) London, England – Indigo2
- 23 (Wed) Nice, France - Nice Jazz Festival
- 25 (Fri) San Sebastian, Spain
- 30 (Wed) Miami, FL – The Fillmore Miami Beach
- 31 (Thu) Clearwater, FL - Ruth Eckerd Hall
- 1 (Fri) Orlando, FL - House Of Blues
- 2 (Sat) Atlanta, GA - Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre
- 4 (Mon) Baltimore, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion
- 5 (Tue) Philadelphia, PA - Mann Center For The Performing Arts – w/ Béla Fleck and The Flecktones
- 6 (Wed) Boston, MA - Bank Of America Pavilion – w/ Béla Fleck and The Flecktones
- 7 (Thu) New York, NY - United Palace