A popular collection featuring book and CD sets, the Versatile series is designed to improve the skill and variety utilized by musicians everywhere. Versatility means being well-rounded, adaptable, and open-minded. For bassists, versatility means knowing a wide range of styles, grooves, scales, and techniques. It also means knowing how to work with other musicians, particularly the drummer, to “lock in” and make the band sound good. The bassists who are most in-demand and get the best gigs tend to be the most versatile. This is especially true in today’s eclectic music industry, where the most exciting new bands tend to be those who fuse a variety of musical styles to create a unique sound. The Versatile Bassist is perfect for bass players of all ability levels looking to expand their musical knowledge and increase their skills. A CD demonstrating the musical examples in the book is included.
The Versatile Bassist is now available as a book and CD set for $19.95. To order your copies, visit your local retail store or log on to the Alfred website for a location near you.
- The history of each style and a list of influential players
- Musical examples for beginning to advanced players
- Tips on keeping good time and locking in with a drummer
- An overview of music theory and notation
- Scale and chord reference charts
- Techniques such as playing chords, slap & pop, muted notes, and tapping
- Sample licks and tips on soloing
- Bass lines in a wide variety of styles, including blues, rockabilly, country, rock, heavy metal, reggae, ska, funk, jazz, and Latin.