NAMM - Anaheim, CA (January 17, 2008) – Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH is proud to announce the release of the Software Development Kit (SDK) for VST3, the latest generation of its VST platform. VST3 offers new capabilities to developers of host applications, audio plug-ins and virtual instruments. The SDK can be used under free license, and is available for download at www.steinberg.net.
“VST3 opens up new possibilities for products and technologies in the audio industry,” comments Andreas Stelling, Steinberg’s General Manager. “The new capabilities provide a new platform for innovation, with features that will make a big difference to developers and users alike. The release of VST3 underlines Steinberg’s ongoing commitment to innovation and creativity in audio technology,” he adds.
Already implemented in Steinberg’s Cubase and Nuendo product ranges, VST3 offers a range of new features and advantages over other standards.
- Enhanced CPU efficiency: unique silence detection feature automatically switches off the plug-in if no audio signal is being received
- Multiple Dynamic I/Os: VST3 plug-ins are fully surround-capable, and can be configured to receive from and output to any I/O configuration, including any surround format
- Dynamic Bus Management: VST3 plug-in output busses can be reassigned at any time, streamlining the integration of plug-ins with the VST mixer
- Sample-accurate automation: Parameter changes can now be automated with extreme precision, including supported for ‘ramped’ data
- Resizable editing windows: The new SDK allows dynamic resizing of windows, allowing improved flexibility in the use of valuable screen space
- VSTXML for Remote Controllers: VSTXML file support allows parameters to be represented on remote controller surfaces, including changing order, naming and much more
- Audio Inputs for VST Instruments: VST3 instruments can be assigned audio input busses, opening up a large range of exciting new creative possibilities
- Multiple MIDI inputs/outputs: VST3 extends the MIDI I/O capability for plug-ins, allowing multiple MIDI inputs and outputs simultaneously
- Optional SKI Integration: Combined with the use of the additional Steinberg Kernel Interface (SKI), VST3 plug-ins can integrate directly into Steinberg host software at application level, enabling VST3 plug-ins to create tracks, perform copy/cut/paste tasks and many other operations
- New Developer Tools: Designed to enhance the process of engineering VST3 products, VST3 offers a clearly structured, object-oriented C++ interface, an automated testing environment, an advanced preset system, a model test host application, sample source code and much more.