January 14, 2008 — Members of Umphrey’s McGee will be performing at NAMM in support of their sponsors. On Thursday, January 17th Jake Cinninger will perform at 3:00 PM at the Fuchs Audio booth and Marshall/Vox/Korg booth at 4:30 PM. Then on Friday, January 18th, “Gongzilla” (the 1st ever “NAMM Jam”), will perform at the legendary Troubadour in West Hollywood. In addition to Umphrey’s McGee band members Jake Cinninger, Kris Myers, and Joel Cummins, Gongzilla will feature Don Preston (Zappa, Mothers Of Invention), Jim Loughlin (moe.), Jeff Pevar (Phil Lesh, Crosby Stills & Nash), Jonas Hellborg (John McLaughlin, Shawn Lane), Jen Zielenbach (Antigone Rising), Andre Cholmondeley (Project Object, Delicious), Charlie Hitchcock, Ben Combes (ex-Particle), and Rob Covacevich & Heath Bennett (Delta Nove).
Photograph by Michael Weintrob
About Umphrey’s McGee
The ascension continues for Chicago’s Umphrey’s McGee, not only in terms of their commercial success but in creative accomplishment and instrumental achievement as well. Their performance on Live at the Murat (SCI Fidelity), their first official live release, is as impressive as anything they’ve recorded to date, with the power and finesse, the yin and the yang, that have come to characterize their by-now classic material.
The current list of confirmed Umphrey’s McGee tour dates is as follows:
- February 07 Richards on Richards Vancouver BC
- February 08 The Showbox Seattle WA
- February 09 Roseland Theater Portland OR
- February 11 Majestic Ventura Theater Ventura CA
- February 12 House of Blues San Diego CA
- February 13 Crash Mansion LA Los Angeles CA - with Dub Trio
- February 15-17 Fillmore San Francisco CA
- February 27 People’s Court Des Moines IA
- February 28 Capital Theater Davenport IA
- February 28 - March 02 First Avenue Minneapolis MN
- March 07 Langerado Music Festival Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation, Everglades National Park FL
- March 14 Carling Academy Islington London England - with The Disco Biscuits
- March 16-18 Jam in the ‘Dam Amsterdam Netherlands
- May 23-25 Summer Camp Chillicothe IL
- Additional dates to be announced.
Live at the Murat is the latest feather in the cap of the dazzling sextet. They followed their highly touted spring 2006 studio release Safety In Numbers with the magical odds and sods The Bottom Half in the spring of this year. The album, with its outtakes, alternate versions, and other nifty bits, reached #26 on Billboard’s coveted “Heatseakers” Chart and received high marks from the music press. HARP magazine recently noted “…[The Bottom Half delivers] creamy studio work infused by diabolical skill.” Also in 2006, Umphrey’s McGee sold out shows in theaters coast to coast, appeared at Lollapalooza and Bonnaroo, and made their late night TV debut on ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live.” Booked by the Monterey Peninsula Booking Agency, the band recently sold out three nights at Chicago’s Aragon Ballroom, two nights at Irving Plaza, San Francisco’s Fillmore Auditorium, and the list goes on, as does Umphrey’s McGee.