A total of 27 awards were presented (see winners list below) with more than 500 jazz enthusiasts including artists, festival organizers, journalists and broadcasters attending the gala. Nominees were selected by a committee of industry leaders with winners chosen by the public via an on-line vote. Jazz fans across the country were encouraged to visit www.nationaljazzawards.com and cast their vote for their favourite nominee in over 26 different categories.
“This year over 2,600 jazz fans across the country voted for their favourite nominee. The National Jazz Awards is a true reflection of the thriving and vibrant jazz community in Canada. As Canadian jazz becomes increasingly recognized globally, it has become even more important for us to provide recognition here at home,” says Bill King, director of the National Jazz Awards.
During the evening a number of specialized awards were presented. Diana Krall was the recipient of the Female Jazz Vocalist of the Year award as well as the International Musician of the Year award while Hilario Duran was the recipient of both the Big Band of the Year award and the Latin Jazz Artist of the Year award. Arranger of the Year went to Phil Nimmons and Male Jazz Vocalist of the Year went to Michael Bublé. Additional recognitions of achievement included Producer of the Year to Roberto Occhipinti and Instrumentalist of the Year to Don Thompson.
The ceremonies featured dynamic performances by the Hugh Fraser Band; vibraphonist Peter Appleyard; saxophonists Jim Galloway and John Nugent; the Oliver Jones Trio; PJ Perry Quartet; Guido Basso; Mike Murley 3; vocalists Sophie Berkal-Sarbit and Holly Cole.
Cole’s stirring performance featured excerpts from her newly released, self-titled album, which scanned in at #14 on the Nielson Canadian SoundScan, #3 on the Digital Album Chart and #1 on the Jazz Album Chart.
Sponsors of the 2007 National Jazz Awards include: CBC/Galaxie Radio Network; Jazz.FM91; Standard Broadcasting; Universal Music Canada; The Ken Page Memorial Foundation; Yamaha Canada; TD Canada Trust Downtown Jazz Festival; EMI; Justin Time Records; SOCAN Foundation; Long & McQuade; Marquis Classics; Factor; Naxos Records; Barbados Tourism Authority and the Bougainvillea Beach Resort.
2007 National Jazz Awards Winners:
The 2007 National Jazz Awards nominations are determined by 100 ballot selections sent to radio broadcasters, festival promoters, record label representatives, music journalists, publicists, and media outlets.
The winners of the 2007 National Jazz Awards:
- Jazz Broadcaster of the Year: Heather Bambrick
- Drummer of the Year: Terry Clarke
- Keyboardist of the Year: Robi Botos
- Jazz Festival of the Year: Toronto
- Bassist of the Year: George Koller
- Trumpet Player of the Year: Guido Basso
- Jazz Journalist of the Year: Geoff Chapman/Toronto Star
- Guitarist of the Year: Reg Schwager
- Saxophonist of the Year: Mike Murley
- Violinist of the Year: Anne Lindsay
- Musician of the Year: Don Thompson
- Clarinetist of the Year: Phil Nimmons
- Arranger of the Year: Phil Nimmons
- Instrumentalist of the Year: Don Thompson
- Jazz Label of the Year: Justin Time Records
- SOCAN Composer of the Year: David Braid
- Jazz Album of the Year: Oliver Jones, “One More Time”
- Acoustic Group of the Year: Murley/Braid Quartet
- Jazz Producer of the Year: Roberto Occhipinti
- Trombonist of the Year: Russ Little
- Female Vocalist of the Year: Diana Krall
- Big Band of the Year: Hilario Duran Latin Jazz Band
- International Musician of the Year: Diana Krall
- Electric Group of the Year: Nick Ali’s Electryc Trio
- Latin Jazz Artist of the Year: Hilario Duran
- Paul Hoeffler Photographer: Bill King
- Male Vocalist of the Year: Michael Buble