“Our goal is the evolution of percussion to a higher form,” comments Stannard. “As fresh and exciting as they are, an investment in a Hammerax™ Hybrid is more than just the purchase of a high-quality musical instrument. It’s kind of like owning a piece of the future.”
Designed for drummers as well as percussionists— and recommended for virtually any musical style— the Hammerax™ line features special alloys that are cast, rolled and hand-hammered to create a variety of instruments that are consistent in quality and durability yet individually unique in appearance and tonal character. The instruments resemble cymbals, gongs and other conventional metal percussion instruments but incorporate original designs, metallurgical formulas, hammering and suspension techniques to achieve vibrato and sound modulation effects, a wonderfully complex although smoother and more controlled mixture of frequencies and the elimination of low and midrange hum while also allowing thin, extra-thin and paper-thin weights for increased rhythmic clarity.
Hammerax’s™ innovative percussion instruments have received numerous trademarks, patents and copyrights and include:
• Boomywang™ (10″/paper-thin, 12″/extra-thin, 15″/extra-thin, 18″/extra-thin, 20″/thin, 24″/medium, 30″/medium, 36″/medium) - The versatility of Hammerax’s special bronze alloy gives these instruments a clean stick sound as well as shimmering crashes with a surprising vibrato.
• Glass™ (10″/extra-thin, 12″/thin, 14″/thin, 15″/medium, 16″/thin) — Crash-Ride hybrids capable of producing shimmering crash sounds . The center can be raked with sticks for controlled swells. The low pitch “hum note” often found in cymbals is eliminated in Glass™.
• Meanie™ (18″/paper-thin, 28″/thin) — Wildly sculpted instruments with an offset dome as well as tonal slots that add smoothness and allow a seamless transition from a dry ride to a fast crash.
• DustBowl™ (12″/medium) — A combination of a flat, very dry sounding cymbal and a crasher effect that can be suspended or instantly placed on top of a hi-hat or cymbal.
• Lash™ (18″/paper-thin) - Another slotted instrument, the sound of the Lash is short and complex. Each tentacle wobbles at a different speed- yielding swishing crashes without a lot of mids and a very smooth, fast wash.
Hammerax™ is the latest endeavor of musician and instrument builder John Stannard. Stannard founded both the Om Percussion and JW Stannard wind chime companies over the past 25 years and became interested in bronze instruments about 15 years ago. His research led to the development of the Hammerax™ line of stick, mallet and hand-playable metal instruments that were unveiled to rave reviews at the Percussive Arts Society’s International Convention in November 2006. Modern Drummer magazine called Hammerax™ Hybrids “The Buzz of the PASIC show”.
For further information visit an authorized Hammerax™ dealer, contact Hammerax at (tel) 727-442-5050 or see and hear videos online at www.hammerax.com.